Friday, June 02, 2006

Can't Stop Won't Stop

I was reading Phoenix's latest blog entry about her High School Crush" She mentioned in the blog that they reconnected at a party. Well folks that party was organized by yours truly. What Pheonix didn 't know was that party was history in the making.

1997 my boy Matador, Monie Luv and myself started a little side hustle promoting parties once a month. It was going really well until we had an event at one of our regular venues. The capacity of the club was 350. Our dumb asses sold about 200 hundred tickets. The night of the party we were also taking money at the door. Word on the street was that U.S.C(Uptown Saga Continues) was on the come up and this particular party was going to be FYAAAAAAAH!!!!! Therefore people without tickets showed up early. Biiig mistake. We ended up filling the club to full capacity causing ticket holders who arrived late a nice cozy spot standing outside of the club. Friends and Fam can I tell you ! ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE!!!! I got cussed out, threatened, pussy promised to me was taken away and my close friends vowed never to come to another event hosted by SLISH. I couldn't show my face in the hood for months! Especially at Clippermans Barber shop. Rumor was The Local Thugs who bought tickets wanted their money back. What was I going to do! Give them the new leather jacket I was wearing !!!!

Few months later. Matador calls me " Yo Slish. You get an invite to our ten year High School reunion? I respond " Yeah but i'm not going to that Cracker Party" Matador laughing " I know what you mean cousin. I know what you mean. So you come up with any ideas on how we're going to redeem ourselves from that last party . People are still salty." I respond " The only idea I could come up with is to find a bigger venue and give the people who lost their money complimentery tickets. " Matador starts laughing " Slish thats a lot of people. Monie luv is not gonna endorse that. You know how money hungry she is. Come up with a new plan" I respond " How about we go by that spot your always talking about and see if they'll let us have our next party there" Matador " You mean The Carib ? " I say " yeah " Matador responds " I'm on it "

A week later Matador sets up a meeting with the Club Owner. We're looking around the place and discover its waaay bigger than we thought. Matador whispers to me as the owner is showing us around " Slish this place is too big. We can't possibly fill it up by ourselves" I say " Your right and we won't have to" Matador gives me this puzzled look. Then the Owner turns to us and says " Fellas what do you think . Want to book the club or not. " I respond " Hell yeah!" Matador looks at me like I just put my lips on his girlfriends titty. Owner responds " What night do you want " Before Matador can respond I say "Thanksgiving " Matador looks at me like I stabbed his mama, pulls me to the side and says " Nigga are you crazy!!! First of all we can't fill this place up by ourselves. Second!!! The last time someone had a party on Thanksgiving ( That would be Puff Daddy now known as Diddy) there was a stabbing, shooting and multiple fights. You know New Rochelle and Mt Vernon don't get along! I respond " What do we have that Puffy didn't" Matador responds " What. " I say " Working class people just looking to have a good time. Besides we'll have a strict dress code. That will deter our friendly neighborhood trouble makers. Matador responds " Okay. You've solved that problem. The owner said the capacity of the club is 800 we've never had a party with those numbers before" I respond " We'll get Kuh Teeth involved he's been wanting to throw parties with us for the past few months. His crew is good for about 400 people" Matador starts laughing to himself and says " You had this all planned out before we even got here. " I respond " Yes siiiir. Now go ask the owner how much the rental fee is. "

Week before the Party. Word on the street! U.S.C was throwing the party of the year! Matador came up with the idea to promote the event as our very own Ten Year High School Reunion. That shit worked! Cause no African wanted to go to that snow flake reunion Our High School comittee was organizing. We sold advance tickets at 15 dollars a pop. Printing only 400 this time around we didn't want to make the same mistake twice. Anyone who sold tickets for us got 5 dollars from each sale. Those tickets went quickly !!! U.S.C was about to do what no other Promoter could since The Carib has been open. Have a party and invite The Bronx, New Rochelle and Mt Vernon. Usually that would be a recipe for disaster.

Night of the party. We hired 12 Sumo type body guards. Monie luv is at the door making sure our money is coming in right. Matador and myself are walking around the party making sure no mini fights break out. Of course yours truly is collecting coochie coupons at the same time.

1 am Dj Billy Busch has that Place jumping!!!! We not only filled the club to its capacity WE EXCEEDED IT!!! Bar ran out of hennessy at 12 midnite. But most important thing of all NO FIGHTS!!!! We made history. U.S.C set the precedent for future events held at that venue.

End of the night Matador hands me my dough. I look in the envelope, smile and say " Luck + Preparation = SUCCESS!!! Never accept defeat. Even when the odds are not in your favor. We could have walked away. Instead ten years from now we'll look back on this night and say DAMN!!! That was a Slamming Party !!!! "

19 Comments:

Blogger A.u.n.t. Jackie said...

*first*

you from the boogie down?

2:20 AM  
Blogger Grantlove said...

" I respond " Hell yeah!" Matador looks at me like I just put my lips on his girlfriends titty.

That is some humorous shyt my friend. LMAO
Was I at that party? If so what trouble did I get into? My memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Too many herbicals I guess.

Oh Well.. Have a good weekend

Peace & Blessings
GrantLove

P.S. - I started an old school/middle school Hip Hop Page. Raps Roots. Peep It!

8:36 AM  
Blogger Little Brown Girl said...

Dayum I was reading and thinking...I wish I could have been at that joint. Sounds like a good time was had by all.

*ehem* what's up with the information for the boat in B-more? I am thinking me and my crew could make something happen!

9:49 AM  
Blogger Mr.Slish said...

@ Miss Ahmad Sing along now. Uptown baby Uptown baby we get around Baby!!!!!

@ Grantlove You were not at this party. Remember you and Good N Plenty relocated to florida.

@ Roycee You missed a HOT one!!! Did Phoenix know you back then.

As for the boat I still have that info...I apologize for not forwarding it to you sooner.

Aug 19th BBQ is in effect !!!!...Phoenix, Lightweight and yours truly have joined forces to bring our friends and families together. Nyc Bloggers and bloggers located at least 3 hours from NYC put it on your calender.

12:03 PM  
Blogger Knockout Zed said...

I'm sitting here grinnin' and shit like I was there. I love it when a plan comes together!

KZ

12:05 PM  
Blogger Nika Laqui said...

I got scared for you for a minute, the thugs was looking for you, thats scary....*lol*

I like that you got the mind and muscle of a hussla....

12:12 PM  
Blogger Mr.Slish said...

@ Zed I'm sitting here grinning at the memory. Yo if you're thinking about visiting nyc anytime soon. Aug 19th Slish and The Angels are putting it down.

12:13 PM  
Blogger Mr.Slish said...

@ n sane Being so broke back then caused that side of my personality to emerge...lol

12:18 PM  
Blogger Knockout Zed said...

I'm actually going to plan on being there on Aug. 19th. Now, if my dough will just cooperate.

Dude, I just got the package. I haven't played the discs yet. Good lookin' out!

KZ

1:51 PM  
Blogger A.u.n.t. Jackie said...

what you know about fried lobster and city island?

3:17 PM  
Blogger Little Brown Girl said...

Slish you know the Golden Girls are in the house. I just put it on my calendar. I'll be living in Atlanta for 2 months (Sept. and Oct) -work shyt- so this will be my farewell to the north east for a minute.

3:30 PM  
Blogger Mr.Slish said...

@ Zed make it down if you can. I'll make sure you have a good time.

@ Ms Ahmad Fried Lobster from Johnnies or the spot across the street? Let me find out you from NYC!!!!!

@ Roycee The Golden girls are more than welcome..

4:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo... everybody was up in the place that night. The music was pumping and a good time was had by ALL!So when you throwing another party like that???

@Royce-You and the GG better come to the BBQ! Looking forward to seeing you guys.

D

4:55 PM  
Blogger A.u.n.t. Jackie said...

No I'm not from NYC but I lived for a while and spent allot of time there in my twenties. My dude was from the Bronx and City Island was my favorite Sunday afternoon get away!

5:15 PM  
Blogger Mr.Venom said...

Will I need to get myself in softball shape? You know damn well what I bring to the plate when the BBQ and softball game goes down.

9:37 PM  
Blogger ChezNiki said...

Im four hours away from NYC (five if I take 95 and stop at Clinton Crossing) can I still come to the cookout?!??!

...I KNOW you didnt send Knockout music before you sent me mine!?!?!
((arms crossed, lip poking out))

11:33 PM  
Blogger Mr.Slish said...

@ Ms Ahmad whats your dudes name might know him

@ Cat Yes dear. Make sure you make the bbq

@ venom. You know the drill.Trilogy is looking for another ass whuppin.

@ You don't need an invite Chez. Asfor the music Zed was in need. Boston has more than one black station..lol

11:26 PM  
Blogger Organized Noise said...

Did someone say softball game? Count me in.

12:53 AM  
Blogger Phoenix said...

Phoenix checking in here - Let me set the record straight.. I gave the idea to Matador to have the party and was a success and if you haven't noticed by now Slish is a self promoting type brotha who will led you to beieve all the great ideas are his.

Now as for the BBQ in August it's on and poppin. But do know this Slish is just the Brun of the group. You have "Brains" - Lightweight; "Beauty" - me Phoenix; and then you have "Brun" -Slish. lol

If you want more info about the BBQ you can email me at soul_sistaNY@yahoo.com

6:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home