Monday, October 30, 2006

The Black Hole

Brubaker. That was the name of my first real bicycle. My dad bought it for me on my 11th birthday. Brubaker was orange with real rubber tires. Not like the hard plastic tires I had on my previous one. Couldn't put air in them at all. If they got flat might as well get a new bike. Which was the very reason why my dad bought me Brubaker. Getting that bike was like a coming of age. Slishy was becoming a big boy.

Now having Brubaker was great , but there was only one draw back. Slish Sr wouldn't let me leave the block with it. He was afraid an older kid would take it from me. So riding up and doooown my block became redundant. I got bored quick. Before you knew it Brubaker was collecting dust in my basment.

It wasn't until a few years later when Fondu and his big brother got bmx bikes. I brought Brubaker out of retirement. The crew had started a little bike posse. We used to build ramps and jump over shit. Well actually we used to jump over people. If you could jump over 4 individuals lying on the floor! You were the man! Brubaker wasn't built like those bmx bikes. All light in the frame and shit. So Fondu and his brother held that title until our parents caught us and SHUT THAT SHIT DOOOOOOWN.

One Saturday morning in the summer. Phantom comes over to get me for our usual visit to the ice cream store. Our video game of choice Arabian Knights. I get dressed, run down the stairs and push open the screen door. Phantom is sitting on my porch waiting patiently. " What took you so long? " I respond " Had to make sure my fro was tight" Phantom laughing" The only way that girl(Casey) is gonna notice you is if you talk to her and we know you're too chicken shit to do that" I respond " Yo Momma! " Phantom stops, looks at my head, and says " Your fro is uneven " I gasp like a little bitch and run back into the house. When I get there I look in the mirror. Muthafucka !!! He got me again!!!

5 minutes later Phantom and I head over to Fondu's house to pick him up. That seemed to be our routine. Phantom comes and gets me we both go and pick up Fondu. Today would be different. When we get to Fondu's house. He and our other boy Lump Lump are prepping their bikes. I say " Hey. You not coming to the ice cream shop?" Fondu quickly responds " Nope" Phantom " Where you guys going? " Fondu grins proudly " To that man made dirt bike course next to the Bowling Alley " Lump Lump knodding his head in approval. Phantom " I wouldn't do that if I were you " Fondu gives Phantom a screw faced look " Why! " Phantom " Rumor has it. That place is like the black hole." Fondu looking all confused pointing a scewdriver at Phantom " What is that supposed to mean" Phantom " It means you'll come back, but your bike won't. " Fondu's eyebrows tighten " Shut the fuck up. You just jealous cause you don't know how to ride a bike" Which was true Phantom had never learned to ride. He used to just sit around and watch us. Fondu " Slish you wanna come " I respond " Nope. You heard Phantom" Fondu laughs " Ain't nobody gonna steal that piece of shit you riding" I respond " Laugh if you want to. I remember hearing your mom say if something happens to that brand new bike she got you. She was not only going to beat your ass with every pot in the house but you would not be getting another one. " Fondu gets on his bike and rides over to phantom and I. He starts sniffing and says " Both of you smell like pussy " Fondu and Lump Lump ride off.

Phantom and I go the Ice cream store as planned. We play a few video games and eat some ice cream. On our way home we decide to take the long way so that we would end up on Fondu's side of the block. As we're walking up the hill we see Lump Lump kicking rocks and Fondu sitting on his steps with his head between his hands. We head on over to them. I say " Whats the matter? What happened?" I start looking around and didn't notice Fondu's or Lump Lump's bike " Where are your bikes?" Lump Lump shakes his head and sighs " They took them " Phantom " Stop playing! For real! Fondu finally lifts his head up. WHOA!!!!! His face was FUCKED UP! Lip swollen and split wiiide open. I look at Lump Lump. Not a scratch on him. Fondu " You happy now Phantom! You gonna say I told you so!" Phantom chuckles " Nah, but your lip is fucked up. You might have to go to the emergency room." I say " Lump Lump how come you don't have a scratch on you?" Fondu says" Lump Lump is a PUSSY. They just tapped him on the shoulder and he gave his shit up! ME! I FOUGHT FOR MY BIKE" Lump Lump rubs his face and responds " My bike wasn't worth ruining my good looks" Phantom and I laughed so hard our stomachs started to hurt.

Fondu is infuriated now. " You guys think this shit is funny!" Lump Lump " No one told you to hold on to the handle bars while the dude who was stealing your bike was punching you in the face" Phantom laughing even harder " Thats what happen ! Thats how you got that fat lip!" Phantom then pushes out his bottom lip. Making fun of Fondu. Fondu responds " Fuck You! Phantom shouts back " No! Fuck You!" and pushes out his bottom lip again " You're the one with the FAT LIP and NO BIKE! Think i'm going to wait till your momma gets home so I can witness the biggest beat down of the century! " Right then. Fondu realised the worst part of his situation was not over.

Later on that day his momma beat him like he had two parents and swore he would never get another bike from her. Lucky for him. The brother Fondu now despises offered him his bike . In doing so he gave up a portion of his childhood so that his little brother could have one. Funny thing is. If you tell fondu that story he still has the same response

" Fuck You"

15 Comments:

Blogger SandyBaby said...

FIRST!!!!

That was hilarious!
Man, I miss childhood!

Great post, Slishy

8:08 AM  
Blogger Grantlove said...

The Notorious Gun Hill Lanes. Many bikes have been stolen from that area. My Pops wouldn't even buy me a bike until I graduated from Karate Class. LOL.. I never did, so I never got a bike. I didn't care either, Less shit for me to worry about.

Funny Story!!

GrantLove

9:19 AM  
Blogger SynSational said...

LOL!

I remember riding bikes with all my friends in the neighborhood and doing crazy stuff. Man, those were the days. I pray my kids have priceless and SAFE childhood memories. Things have changed so much.

9:56 AM  
Blogger Knockout Zed said...

If my parents knew the dangerous ass places I went on my bike, they'd have a fit right now. Luckily, like Brubaker, my bike wasn't on anyone's shopping list by the time I was able to ride off the block.

KZ

10:46 AM  
Blogger 1969 said...

Oh yeah...Gun Hill Lanes sounds a lot like East New York, Bed-Stuy and certain parts of Flatbush. LOL

11:06 AM  
Blogger Mr.Slish said...

@ Sandybaby I miss mine too...

@ Grantlove. You if you could have seen Fondu'd face...lol..and Phantom making fun of him...

@ Syn I miss the good ole days... I wish the same for my future children as well

@ Zed You mean like in the projects chasing that big booty girl that promised to let you feel her up if you could last 10 minutes in her neighborhood...lol

@ 1969 What you know about gunhill lanes..You from BK!!!! They had bowling alleys round them parts? Sure you guys got a chance to bowl without anything poppin off..lol

11:59 AM  
Blogger Pamalicious said...

As a leader of a bike possee this brought back some memories:

The South - Rollin in a BIG neighborhood race, got my brake line cut - hit a telephone pole and flew up in the air and hung from the first rung - OH SHIT where are my teeth and my momma ain't home!

The North - Being chased by Italian Boys out their neighborhood and having to ride like the wind, because our lives DID depend on it!

Great memory!

12:18 PM  
Blogger Rashan Jamal said...

Man, I used to ride my joint all over the place back in the day and then get home before my mom so she didnt know. She thought I was just in the apartment complex, but I was riding out to this big ass hill bout 5 miles away, popping wheelies and doing jumps. It was the crack neighborhood, so I was lucky that nobody took my ish.

1:37 PM  
Blogger Mr.Slish said...

@ Pam I can't stop laughing...Where are my teeth!! lol...

@ R mack..They took your voltron! 6 or not I WOULD HAVE KICKED THAT KIDS ASS... I upgraded my bike to a ten speed.Funny that bike was orange too..lol

@ T cas. No crack head chased you!! " Gimme THAT BIKE you little crumb snatcha..lol

2:06 PM  
Blogger Miz JJ said...

That story makes me laugh. Why are people so hard headed? What I like about your story is how you can see how people's personalities are formed when they're so young.

3:15 PM  
Blogger onefromphilly said...

When I was 6 I had a big ole bus bike. I couldn't even sit on the seat because it was so big. Took it outside before I knew how to use the brakes and rode straight into the wall of the school! Got all busted-up. I learned to use the brakes the next day. Oh the good ole days.....

4:11 PM  
Blogger PhillyLive said...

Yo cuz, you are stupid.. You took it waaaay back this time around wit the bike story. As a little nucca grow'n up, I never got my bike take'n, but I remember my first time take'n the trolley by myself downtown like yesterday. These older cats, like 3 or 4 them nucca's, BRO-DEED me for my records. Til this day, I never told my moms about that shit.

I think everybody got robbed at least once grow'n up in Philly. It was just the nature of beast. Nucca's was snatch'n everything from Playboy Hats, to Gazelle Glasses, to Shell Top Adidas....

4:41 PM  
Blogger sunshyne said...

Damn. So y'all was just waiting to get got? I'm so glad I grew up in Da A. I'm sure folks got robbed, but I never knew about it in my neigborhood. Then again, I was a nerd...

Great post, Slish! I remember riding our bikes all over the neighborhood, especially riding down Dead Man's Drop and Suicide Hill. Funny I didn't kill myself because I would ride my bike with no brakes down the steep, curvy road of Dead Man's Drop. What was I thinking? Wait...I was a kid...I was NOT thinking, and it was fun!

6:41 PM  
Blogger Mr.Slish said...

@ Miz JJ Fondu was more than just hard headed...lol He was an asshole too...lol

@ One LOLOLOLOL...Hold up..LOLOLOLOL

@ Philly Thye took your grandmaster flash records homie..Man!! I forgot you were bootleg dj back in the day..lol

@ Sunshyne Not me. All my daddy had to do was tell me was."Slishy take that bike where it doesn't belong and thats yo ass!!!"

8:04 AM  
Blogger Little Brown Girl said...

It's funny how important bikes were to us back then but you'd be hard pressed to see a kid riding a bike in your neighborhood nowadays. I had a powder blue Kabuki...the only girl in my block with a hot azz boy mobile!!! I loved that bike!!!

good post, reminded me of when...

11:13 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home