Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Save A Pretty Girl For Me.

When I was a teenager I was terrified of approaching a girl I had a crush on. I would just wait around and hope she noticed . Joke was on me because some other guy would always have the courage I didn't and get the girl. So every night before I went to bed I would pray. " God? Please save a pretty girl for me."

The summer of 1983. I new family had moved onto my block. One day while coming back from the candy store. I passed the family's house. As I'm walking passed their drive way. I see an angel. I swear everything started to move in slow motion. She turns her head and looks at me. I look back. Her hazel eyes had me hypnotized. All of a sudden my heart started to beat really fast, my feet had stopped moving and my palms got all sweaty. Then my boy Chubbs peeps his head out from her door to see what she's looking at. DAMN DAMN DAMN!!! God I thought you were saving a pretty girl for me! Chubbs " Slish come in here. I want you to meet my new friend Casey" I say " New friend ! You mean as in girlfriend ? Chubbs smiles and says " No, but i'm working on it" Casey gives Chubbs an annoyed look then turns around and shakes my hand. I felt a little woozy but kept my composure. I welcomed her to the neighborhood and excused myself quickly.

As i'm walking away I feel this tingle in my belly. It was the first time it had ever happened. Come to find out it wouldn't be the last. Everytime I saw Casey come home from school, walk to the store , or play outside with her brothers. My stomach would tingle. I wanted and needed to get close to her, but whenever she was in my presence the words would never leave my lips. Then I got an idea! Befriend her brothers! They will invite me into their house and get me closer to my goal.

Six months went by and my plan was working. I was constantly at Casey's house hanging out with her brothers. We made eye contact often but I never made a move. I was hoping she would say something but she never did. But I was confident that a higher power had saved this pretty girl for me. So I waited and waited and waited and NOTHING!!!! Okay God are you playing a cruel joke on me. Why haven' t you made Casey my girlfriend! What are you waiting for!

I was getting frustrated. I started kissing my pillow at night pretending it was Casey. My older brother CJ caught me once " Slish what are doing" I say " Practicing" CJ laughing " For what ? I respond " I'm practicing for when I get the chance to finally kiss a girl." CJ still laughing " What girl ? I say " The new girl who lives across the street" CJ" Slishy its not your time. If it was. You would know what to do and say" I'm even more frustrated now and respond " When CJ! When will it be my time! " CJ " When you're able to tell that girl how you feel without any hesitation" I put the pillow over my head because I knew that was not going to happen any time soon. Some other guy was going to come and steal my potential girlfriend away from me.


Summer of 84 came around. I was still admiring Casey from a far. I watched guy after guy vie for her affection, but she never gave them the time of day. It was like she was waiting for something better to come along. Deep down I hoped that something better was me. Then one day I was walking to the candy store and I see Casey sitting on her porch with her sister Jugs . Jugs " Slish come over here Casey wants to talk to you." OH HELL!!!! I slowly walk across the street. Casey walks down her steps and meets me in front of her drive way " I sheepishly say " Hi" Casey smiles and says" Hi Slish. I want you to sign my graduation book. WHAT!!!! Back then if a girl wanted you to sign her graduation book and you didn't go to her school meant SHE LIKED YOU!!! WAIT!!! SHE LIKES ME!!!! SHE LIKES ME!!!! Okay breath Slish, take the book from her hand and act real keeewwl " It would be my honor, but I have to run to the store can I write in it when I come back" Casey says " Take the book with you. I'll wait here. "

I calmly walk around the block and out of Casey's sight. YEEEEEES!!!!!! I run to the candy store. When I get there I see Phantom and Fondu playing video games. " Fellas guess who gave me their graduation book to sign" Fondu looks up at me then back at the video game and responds " Who." I say " CASEY!" Fondu stops playing " You mean Casey with the pretty brown eyes and nice ass CASEY! " I respond " YEAH!!!! Fondu" Your lying ! Gimme that book ! " he looks at it and his eyes light up! I grab the book back and say " I don't know what to write! Fondu" Give me that ! Your soft ass is going to write something corny and mess up your chances. I'll take care of this. I say " What are going to write " Fondu's usual response " Don't you worry about that. "

When Fondu was done. I was so excited didn't even read what he wrote . I ran back to the block and Casey was waiting for me on her porch. I gave the graduation book back to her and quickly excused myself. Didn't want to be there when she read it. No telling what that AFRICAN wrote .

Later that evening the phone in my house is ringing. My mother gets to it before I do. "SLIIIIIISHY telephone. " I pick up '"Hello" Voice says" Hi Slish " I say " Who's this? Voice responds " Its me Casey" YES YES YEEEES! Wait a minute! How did she get my number I never gave her my number! I respond " H How did you get my number? Casey " You wrote it in my book along with that beautiful poem asking me to be your girlfriend" WHOA!!!!! I'm Shook now! What the hell did Fondu write!!! Never mind that! Who cares !Slish its your time! I say " Weeeell will you. Be my girlfriend " Casey responds " Slish do you know how long i've been waiting for you to ask me that. Ofcourse I'll be your girl" I must have blacked out cause I don't remember the rest of that conversation.

That summer I was the man! Casey was my girl. Fondu hated me for it and God had finally answered my prayers.

30 Comments:

Blogger A.u.n.t. Jackie said...

a teenage love
a teenage love
don't don't hurt me again...in the words of the immortal slick rick!

1:36 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

As I was reading the story I was hoping like crazy Fondu didn't write something stupid like, " I hate you! why did you give me this book to sign!" and mess up your chances with Casey. lol

Awwwww, the sweetness of young love. :)

4:17 AM  
Blogger VAR said...

Ha haa... I like that story Slish.. That was real cool.. You had me on the edge thinking "aww man, I hope Fondu didn't mess things up for my boy.." lol.. I can definitely imagine Casey. Seems like Casey's always look good. There's one where I work that's got beautiful eyes and perfect body...whew.. Are you gonna share some more of the Slish and Casey story?

5:07 AM  
Blogger Mr.Venom said...

I come back from the dead to read this? I'm going back underground.

6:42 AM  
Blogger So...Wise...Sista said...

God gosh, love is oozing from your pores! It's a good look, Slishy;)

So where's part 2 where Fondu effs if all up?

9:11 AM  
Blogger Grantlove said...

You have to call me and tell me who that was. I didn't think you got a girlfriend until you were in your twenties LMAO.....

And where the hell was I at? Probably running the streets on Boston Rd. and around the Hillside Houses....High School love... How sweet...Did I just give away your old ass age? LMAO, LMAO

9:15 AM  
Blogger Little Brown Girl said...

So mad your boy had to do the dirty work for you...LOL!! I actually thought Fondu was going to play you...good thing it was him and not wack azz Dough Boy.

Awwwwwwww Slishy got the girl...this was a good post. I miss young love, going to the bodega on the corner so he can buy you a pickle kinda love, sitting on the stoop all day talking about nothing kinda love...those were the days!!

9:25 AM  
Blogger SandyBaby said...

Hey Slishy! That took me back, Man! Them crushes were a b*tch back then. That was a sweet story!

@Miss Ahmad - *dyin laffin!*

9:37 AM  
Blogger Mr.Slish said...

@ Miss Ahmad I was a teenager in love. Depending on the level of interest. I might let yall in on how it all worked out...lol

@ Smartblkwoman Back then I was hoping like crazy he didn't write anything stupid my damn self. I was too scared to write anything ...lol

@ Var Thanks bruh. Fondu didn't mess me up that day, but he showed his ass a few months later. I made him pay for it too. lol

@ Venom awww SHUT UP!! Just mad cause your first girlfriend was a transexual named Grigor...HATER!!!!

@ So wise You like the new Slish look huh. Shiiit I like it too. You guys really wanna hear part two?

@ Yo AFRICAN!!! I was gonna call yo ass today too..lol Figured you would be scratching your head. You were around when I first met Casey. It was our last year in elementary. Remember the chick I hopped the City bus for. You and God & Plenty Held the door open for me. lol

@ Royce Why you mad.Don't be...lol That was the only positive thing Fondu has ever done for me.Funny I don't think he meant to..lol Probably thought I would get nervous and drop the ball. But like my big bro said When its your time you will know exactly what to do..:) Yeeeah Royce I miss the days when shit was so simple..lol

@ Sandy Baby Sometimes we need to be reminded of how drastically this world has changed and how teenagers today have lost that innocence.

12:16 PM  
Blogger Jameil said...

lololol great story! what did he write? b/c i was thinking he wrote something like "you have a big booty and i wanna feel it up all night long" and that was her momma callin. and yes we wanna hear part II. (duh fishin for compliments)

12:22 PM  
Blogger Mr.Slish said...

@ Jameil lmaof You crazy!!! I don't remember what that cat wrote. It was probaly something like that..lmaof

@ R Mack I see a lot of The Young Slish in you bruh. Can't wait till you discover your dark side. It can be used for good. We're a like in many ways..Glad you connect with this story. Not all of us were like Grantlove..

12:40 PM  
Blogger Mr.Slish said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:45 PM  
Blogger Prophetess said...

Too bad for Fondu. Good for Slish. I'm glad you got your girl. Do you still see her these days?

1:01 PM  
Blogger Mr.Slish said...

@ Insanity. Casey is my very good friend till this day.

1:07 PM  
Blogger Ming Houser, Realtor said...

Awwww...That was sweet.

3:28 PM  
Blogger nikki said...

why was ya boy hating? he helped you out!

that story was great! now i see i've been missing out on your blog. time to head back to the archives...

3:34 PM  
Blogger Mr.Slish said...

@ Big Daddy Kane. You're right about the Lip part. Price we pay..

@ Vixen I kept the girl for The Summer. We're still friends today. So I guess I did keep the girl after all..lol

@ Dynasty Aaawwwww Back at ya..lol

@ Nikki Fondu figured if the pressure was on me I would get nervous and push Casey away. He never counted on me actually stepping up to the plate. Him writing what he did was meant to be a joke,but I turned it around..lol Thats why he was HATIN later

9:09 PM  
Blogger a.Marie said...

Go'on...get ur mack on!

:-)

9:54 PM  
Blogger Nika Laqui said...

AWWWW, but 83, 84, I was 3, 4 years old...*lol*

Fondu a trip...that was cool of him to do, no tellin what you woulda wrote...any idea?

So why did Fondu hate that you got the girl, it was all his doing?

Right, I'm with So Wise, when is Fondu gone fuck it all up?

Aww, yall still talk!! Thats beautiful, was she your first???

I don't know to many people(other than myself) that still talks to their first...some people don't even remember who their first was...*lol*

11:22 PM  
Blogger Nika Laqui said...

RobMack, you need to write something, shit...I'm tired of lookin at that crank ass picture of myself...*lol*

11:23 PM  
Blogger EJ Flavors said...

now see, i'm catching up on all my reading, and as usual, you gave us good vibes, man. excellent vibes, matter of fact. think i'm gonna put you up in the top of the stack now, man. this some good stuff.

11:46 PM  
Blogger Mr.Slish said...

@ A Marie.. Didn't have any mack in me back then..lol

@ N sane YOUNGIN!!! Can't remember what Fondu wrote. I asked Casey recently she doesn't remember either. Casey was not my first.

@ Ej you been laying low bruh...Thank you..As a matter of fact I'm going to add your Old school site to my page. People check it out...

12:08 PM  
Blogger Grantlove said...

I'm co-signing with Slish. Everybody check out EJ Flavors site if you like the music of yesterday. Money plays some hot joints every Wednesday.
EJ Flavors

And don't forget about me either:
SOULcrates

Sorry Slish, but this free advertising is too good to pass up..

12:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

awwwwww that was cute

1:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

......I would pray. " God? Please save a pretty girl for me."

OMG I'm so *dead* from that prayer.....I'm so sure that had to be the sweetest thing I have read today....

****memorizing****

"God? Please save a pretty boy for me!" then I will click my heels 3 times....lol....

3:58 PM  
Blogger Knockout Zed said...

Damn, I am gettin' soft as fuck!!!

I'm sittin' here cheesin' after reading that. WTF is going on with me?

KZ

9:47 AM  
Blogger Lyrically speaking said...

The Sweet Taboo, that would be the perfect title for this post. It was a nice read. It also bought back memories, I was so shy when I was younger and never approached boys or didn't even look their way,now i'm outspoken. If I like what I see I say something.

11:05 AM  
Blogger Mr.Slish said...

@ Zed lmaof @ Cheesin.. You ain't getting soft man..lol

@ Dela Now you kiss the boys and make them Cry..lol

1:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ahh...innocence.


Funny how we all been praying for the pretty girl.


Good thing there seems to be enough for all of us.

4:12 PM  
Blogger EqualOpportunityCrush said...

now you know I thought your boy had written some foul shit right.. (wiping brow) glad you hooked your cowardly ass up!!!lol.. very cute story.. someone must be in l-o-v-e..

11:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home