Thursday, March 30, 2006

The Kind Of Father I Want To be

Last week Weds or was it Thurs?? I don't remember!!! Anyway my dad calls me. I answer the phone " Yes sir" Pops " Where are you? " I pulled the phone away from my ear. Why is this man questioning my whereabouts I'M 36 YRS OLD!!!!! I answer " On my way to my parttime job father. " Pops responds in his accent " Oh thats good son. You need that money. Hope your saving it. " I respond " Please pops. You think making extra money makes me happy. I mean it comes in handy but it doesn't bring me any happiness" Pops responds " What would make you happy then son" I say " You have to ask " Pops " I know son. You want a family" I say " Yes siiir " then Pops says " I don't understand. You can find all your buddies women to date but you can't find yourself one. Maybe yuh to handsome. Women must think your going to cheat on them because yuh too good looking." This man is delusional I start laughing and respond " Pops I'm glad you think that. Gotta go. I love you " Pops responds "I love you too son" He hangs up.

When I was a kid baseball was the number one sport in my neighborhood. Every kid on my block played for Hillside Little League. If you didn't play you were subject to ridicule. So I begged my pops to let me join. Since he was a big baseball fan back then he quickly obliged.

One day I came home from little league practice looking kind of sad. My Pops says" Bwoooy whats the matter with you " I pout and say " I don't want to play baseball anymore " Pops " Wha yuh mean you don't want to play baseball anymore. Its paid for already" I say " The coach won't let me play. He says i'm too small and that I can't catch the baseball when its hit to me in the outfield. It keeps going over my head" Pops responds " Wha yuh mean yuh can't catch the ball. I watch yuh catch the ball when yuh play with your friends outside. When since yuh can't catch" I raise up both of my shoulders and say " Thats what the coach said daddy."

The following weekend my dad comes down to the park to watch me play. When he got there he was not happy. I was sitting on th bench with a brand new glove he had bought and my uniform was not dirty. Pops says to the coach" Mr Shipman why is my son sitting on the bench as a matter of fact why are the rest of these boys not getting a chance to play. " MR Shipman looks at my dad and doesn't respond. Pops says" I paid my money PLAY MY BWOY!!!! Mr Shipman was SHOOK!!!! He says " Slishy go to left field"

I'm in left field with my brand new glove and READY FOR ACTION!!!! Gonna make pops proud. WHACK!!!! Its a pop fly ball headed my way. I'm like FINALLY !!!! A chance to prove myself. Let me tell you. Young Slishy watched that ball go right over his head. Next batter up WHACK!!! This time its a line drive STRAIGHT TO ME!!!! The baseball hits my glove and falls to the ground error number two for young Slish. This was not looking good. I manage to get through the inning. Now I'm up to bat. I'm confident cause I know young slish can hit!!! First pitch STRIIIIIKE ONE!!!! thats aiight next pitch is STRIIIIIKE TWO!!!!! Hold up !!!! I grab the baseball bat real tight, tears in my eye I can't let my daddy see me strike out. STRIIIKE THREEE YOOOOUR OOOOUT!!!!!! I walk back to the bench couldn't even look at my dad, but I did notice Mr Shipman give my dad a THATS WHY YOUR SON IS ON THE BENCH LOOK!!!! My dad was pissed!! Cause he picked up on it too and says " Slishy lets go. I don't want you playing for this man. He's too Feisty!!! ( Thats Jamaican for Asshole)

We're in the car driving home. I'm pouting in the passenger side. My dad looks over at me and says " Bwooooy Slishy Yuh looked bad out there. I never see you play so bad." I didn't respond just sat there looking out the window. Pops continues " But thats okay all you need is a little practice and some confidence. I' ll help you with that" I turn around and say " But daddy you've never played basball in your life how are you gonna help me" Pops responds " Me watch it pon da T.V how hard it could it be" I shook my head and turned around and looked right back out that window.

That whole summer my dad would come home from work, change his clothes, and take my ass to the batting range. On the weekends he would take me and the neighborhood kids to the baseball field and hit balls to us. He was determined to make me a better baseball player. Although my dad couldn't play baseball he understood the dynamics of the game and quickly realized that young Slish was not an outfielder but an infielder. The following year young Slish was now Super Star Slish. I was on a different team and a starter. I followed my dads advice and convinced my new coach to let me play second base.

I played on that team for two years. My last year we managed to get to the Championship. I was still the teams starting second baseman. It was the last game in a 3 game series. Both teams were tied. My dad not only came to that game but brought all his boys to watch Super Star Slish play. I was 3 for 3 that day. No ground ball passed me. The game was close, but we WON!!! My Dad was there to see it and I knew he was the reason I had acquired those skills that help my team win. I ran outside of that baseball field and gave my dad the biggest hug.

I knew that day who my idol was and still is.


Love ya Pops. I hope I get the chance to be the kind of father you were to me back then and are to me now.

24 Comments:

Blogger Butterfly Jones said...

*wipes the tears from her eyes* - What a great story. My parents are Jamaican - I would have spelt it 'feisty'...can you tell I'm a writer. Sorry!

8:17 AM  
Blogger Ming Houser, Realtor said...

That was a moving story...

I just started reading and you have a very entertaining and captivating way of telling a story...keep it up!

8:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You never fail to entertain me with your writing skills. When is the book coming??? You could be making big bucks, man. I would buy your books.

10:22 AM  
Blogger Mr.Slish said...

@ butterfly Jones Thanks for the heads up on that word. Never knew how to spell it..lol

@ Dynasty Thank you for the compliment. I will be checking you out.

@ R mack Its never too late join a softball team. Me & my old ass friends play every year.Mr Venom was my mvp last year.

@ Ondrea Ya think??? Big Bucks??? Naaaah. I'm glad you still have the time to read my blog. When are you going to start your own? I remember you having some pretty good writing skills yourself

11:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. Slish the story was quite lovely. I actually pictured it and heard Mr. Softee in the background and everything. You have a great role model and you seemed to be paying attention. I think you will be the father you want to be. You have great insight and that story was so pure. One day your son or daughter will tell stories like that about you too. You'll be fine.

12:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All I can say is WOW!! Once again you never cease to amaze me. But on the real, I remember those Hillside Little League days like they were yesterday. I used to tag along to Haffen Park just so I could get ice cream from a DIFFERENT ice cream truck than the one that came on our block. . . lol! Things were so simple back then. I'm going to show this to daddy. I know this will make him smile and even more proud than he already is.

Okay I''m done being mushy!!!

Buh-bye!!!

12:36 PM  
Blogger NegroPino™ said...

That was precious..........

1:18 PM  
Blogger Mr.Venom said...

Okay somebody please mark the date down. Slish actually gave my a compliment in print about my softball skills. Especially since he used to diss me before I even got on the field. But on the real I have a similar story with my Dad in upstate NY. He was teaching me how to ice skate so I could play hockey. It's important that Father's take the time out to indulge in their child's interest.

1:49 PM  
Blogger i like liquor and tv said...

aww that was a cute story.

See, I wasn't raised like that. I was raised to give up.

2:00 PM  
Blogger Mr.Slish said...

@ Ms Honeydew I hope my future children do just that...

@ Stughetto remember how shit was back then!!! Haffen park used to be the shiznit during little league season. Aaall those different Goody trucks..Remember those sloppy chili dogs. Yummy!!! Uncle felix bought me 2 of those after we won that game.

@ New Booty. That he is...

@ Venom HOCKEY!!!!!! I knew your inner white boy would show his face sooner or later.

@ Liquor Is that why your obsessed with liqur and t.v ..lol Parents just sat you in front of the tele that sat on top of the liqour cabinet..lol

3:21 PM  
Blogger i like liquor and tv said...

pretty much. That's all I know. I got 3 tv's on as we speak. I won't start drinking til at least about 5 tho.

4:41 PM  
Blogger So...Wise...Sista said...

"When since yuh can't catch"

When I saw that I KNEW you were fam!

And I woulda spelled it "facety" and put it in italics and shit. lol I love the softer side of Slish!

8:54 PM  
Blogger Mr.Slish said...

@ So Wise I have my moments, but don't get too used to it..lol The Slasher can easily be awakened.

9:10 PM  
Blogger Phoenix said...

oh please, not you with the warm and fuzzy sentaments. Give me a frikin break. Why don't you tell the story about the fashion show in HS. now that's a story.... LMAO

11:10 PM  
Blogger DramaFree said...

Awwww!! What a lovely story!! It sounds like you have a wonderful Dad..you're really blessed.

8:47 AM  
Blogger Ms.Honey said...

I need a tissue..that was so sweet...let me call my daddy.

9:49 AM  
Blogger ChezNiki said...

Fantastic!

1:59 PM  
Blogger PhillyLive said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:01 PM  
Blogger PhillyLive said...

Let me get this straight. You went from a strike out artist / scrub to a little league superstar? I need to see a trophy or something kid. But on some real shit, this was a good ass father / son story.

I loved my dad to death, but we never played ball or nothing. Matter of fact, I learned from my boyz pop but that's because my parents went there separate ways when I was a kid.

Anyway, you need to find a wife or something dog because you have to much free time on your hands to be remembering shit and writing shit from 1984.

Cuz'n, I'm out..... 1

12:13 PM  
Blogger Disco said...

awwwww....slishy.... that was absolutely beautiful....and you WILL be a great dad because you'll settle for nothing less ! Great post.

9:50 AM  
Blogger Little Brown Girl said...

Black men make the best fathers cause they were the First Fathers...love the story and your energy. I'll be watchin you too!!!

1:50 PM  
Blogger Grantlove said...

You were still a scrub!! And from playing the old man sport (Softball)with you, you still suck now *laughing my ass off*

11:15 AM  
Blogger SandyBaby said...

Beautiful... just beautiful

8:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aaawww.. this is such a great story.. first time on your page.. definitely book marking it..

6:44 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home