Tuesday, May 01, 2007

The Gift Is In The Giving

I recently turned 38 and started to wonder where the time went. I mean I still remember squeezing girls asses in elementary school and running away before they slapped me, " scratching my head" or was that Yesterday? Anyway I hate my B-day, I hate getting older, I hate having to act like i'm getting better when I know my body is trying to find ways to kill me daily. So What do I do ? Get depressed? Start a low carb diet so I can have the body of a twenty year old? Flirt with women 15 years younger than me to boost the ego? No. Instead I reflected, Took a look around and realized I am blessed to have had so many things. Now I figure its my turn to give back some of the love and commitment I have recieved throughout the years.


Yesterday after returning from Martha's Vineyard Shawnla's surprise B-day gift to MOI! We drive to the babysitter and pick up her son Little D. We get there and he gets in the car with this sullen look on his face. Now Little D is the quiet type but he's never that quiet so Shawnla turns around, smiles at him and says " Whats wrong baby" Little D looks up , eyes widen and he gives his usual grin and responds " Nothing mommy" Shawnla " Did you have a good weekend?" Little D " Yes Mommy" Shawnla turns back around, looks at me, shakes her from side to side, because her intuition is telling her something is wrong.


We're in the Apt now. Little D is still too quiet for Shawnla's taste so she sits him down on the couch and interrogates him some more, but Little D is sticking to the same story that nothing is wrong and all is good in his world. I ask Shawnla " What were you and the baby sitter talking about earlier " Shawnla responds " This and that. You know she always trying to gossip about somebody" she turns to Little D " I heard Mikey(babysitters son) got a new bike" Little D doesn't turn to look at his mom and nods his head in response. I realized then why he was being so quiet.

I get up from the chair I was sitting in and calmly say to Little D " Lets go" He looks up at me and responds " Where ? I say " To a place where bikes are in abundance" Little D looks at me puzzled " Abundance? " I laugh. Little D looks over at Shawnla for answers and she responds" Remember that suprise I told you about." Little D smiles " Yeah " Shawnla is grinning ear to ear now " SURPRIIIIISE! "

We both leave. Little D is still a bit confused about whats going on " Mr Slish are you taking me to get a bike ? I respond " Yup " Little D walks over to the drivers side of The Batmobile before he opens the door he asks "How can you afford to buy me a bike? What about your bills? I smile at him and respond " Little D when you get older you'll realize that if you work really hard you can pay your bills and buy nice things for the people that you care about. " He opens the car door and gets in I continue " Little D i'm not getting you this bike because your friend got one. Your good grades in school and the fact that you showed great character by not whining to your mother about not having one is the reason why. You're a great kid Little D and I'm a firm believer that Great kids should be rewarded." Little D smiles, fastens the seat belt around him, and we pull off.

10 minutes later Little D and I are in the store. He's trying to get the most inexpensive bike. I think to myself " This boy just like his mama" I guide him over to a Red and Chrome 21 speed Mongoose dirt bike. It glowed as it sat there all by itself. I look down at Little D " THIS is the bike! " Little D looks up at me then at the bike. His eyes widen " Yeeeeeah! " I call the attendant over " We'll take this one! " Attendant takes the bike off of the rack. Little D hops on it and rides it all the way to the cash register.

As we're walking out of the store . The security guard says to Little D " Yo little man! Thats a HOT bike ! Little D smiles at the security guard and nods in Agreement. Then he stops, walks over to me , places both his arms around my waste and says " Thank you Mr Slish "


That right there was the best birthday gift anyone could have given me.

31 Comments:

Blogger A.u.n.t. Jackie said...

ooh still first on the list!!

Man oh man do i remember my first mongoose. I still have the scars!

you're a good guy charlie brown!!

3:29 PM  
Blogger Nexgrl said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! It seems like that smile and that hug from Little D melted all of your sadness away.

3:43 PM  
Blogger Mr.Venom said...

You need to buy Little D a bicycle, with all the evil things that you are doing with his mother the bike is just a small price you ahve to pay to buy Little D's silence from the authorities.

3:50 PM  
Blogger Mr.Slish said...

@ Miss Ahmad. What the HEll were you doing with that bike that caused you to get those scars. Jumping over cars!!...lol

@ Nexgrl Wasn't really sad jst wondering my life has taken so long to start. lol

@ Venom. Any man who considers sex with a Beautiful woman evil. DEFINITELY has an indentity crisis...lol YOU BEECH ASS NEEEGRO!

4:02 PM  
Blogger Knockout Zed said...

Does that shorty know that the bike was payback for that good lovin' you been gettin'?

LOL

KZ

4:24 PM  
Blogger Mr.Slish said...

LOL....@ Zed. He probably does, but if you were 9 wouldn't you rather have a brand new bike than the thought of some dude you giving your mommy ooodles and boodles of PLEASURE.....LOL

4:58 PM  
Blogger Consistently Inconsistent... said...

Happy Birthday!

You are a good guy...or a really guilty guy for layin his mom out! lol

7:16 PM  
Blogger A.u.n.t. Jackie said...

i was a bit of a dare devil as a young girl..i mean hell i wanted to be the female evil kneivel if that says anything.

i jumped ramps, slide under cars and tried to take flight...as often as possible.

by the way you look good for an old man!!

7:58 PM  
Blogger 1969 said...

Happy Birthday Slish! Bwoy ya Old!
Hey, we are reppin hard for the 1969 crew. We still look good. LOL

So you and T2 are Taurus' huh? **note to start beating that boy EXTRA hard**

I am proud of you for buying that boy a mongoose. T1 has the same bike. And you know it was because you and his momma got BIZEE up in the Vineyard. LOL

8:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@Miss Ahmad- Dont soup him up, he knows he looks good!

@Slishy- Since you erased my last Happy Birthday message, I wont write it again here. But two of my relatives have your same birthday and yall are mean and stubborn... but also very kind and generous to children and old people. And I havent met a Taurus yet that didnt know where a good party/ the best restaurant was.

Hope you enjoyed your day, Lil Man certainly did.

8:07 PM  
Blogger DivineLavender said...

Slish; Zed took da cake....

Good jucin equals bike.


Bwwwwaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

10:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kindness begets kindness. Happy birthday

11:06 PM  
Blogger Mr.Slish said...

@ Consistent No guilt here. Just wanted to something nice for the boy...:)

@ Miss Ahmad Under Cars!!! You crazy. Btw Thanks for the compliment. I still feel old..

@1969 Yuh backside Sistren.Think i'll start sending mental messages to T2 and awaken his dark side..lol

@Chez Like i told you earlier i didn't erase yolu b-day Wish..lol yeah Little D enjoyed the Bike. Just hope I'm not spoiling him oo much...

@ Divine Yeah yeah Yeah...Shawnla give me anymore of that juice boy might get a CAR!!!..lol

@ espy Glad you stopped by. Thanks for the B-day Wishes...:)

11:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was so sweet. I have a tear in my eye. I love good kids!

Hey, you're a Taurus like me! (well, I guess I'm a Taurus like you)

Anyways, Happy Birthday!

12:01 AM  
Blogger Drea said...

I am late but HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY. We are the same age now so you know I am not calling that old!

Great story.

8:02 AM  
Blogger onefromphilly said...

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY SLISHY!!

OHHH, the simple pleasures in life, the happy look on a kids face with new bike. You're a real perceptive guy to pick up on little D's feelings. You'll be a great daddy!!

And you ain't old. Didn't anybody tell you that the 40's are the new 30's. So the 30's are still the old 30's. So when you turn 48 you'll be the new 38. But for now I guess you are just the old 38.... HUH?

9:42 AM  
Blogger Miz JJ said...

Happy Birthday.

That story just about gave me a cavity. Too sweet. Lil' D sounds like such a good kid.

11:46 AM  
Blogger Blu Jewel said...

Happy Belated Birthday wishes to you. First timer over here. This was simply beautiful *sniff*

11:53 AM  
Blogger *snake*bite* said...

Happy Belated Birthday - that was the sweetest thing awww! Tears coming to ones eyes!

xXx

11:56 AM  
Blogger Mr.Slish said...

@ B good I love the good kids too.

@ Drea Ummm You are calling me old...lol

@ Onefromphilly 40 who said I was 40!!!..lol

@ Miz JJ His mama raised him well..:)

@ Blu jewel Welcome to Slish land

@ Snake bite..No boo whooing over here...lol

12:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday fool.


Mr. Music

1:32 PM  
Blogger 1969 said...

Slishy...yuh jinxed meh.

I came home last night and T2 snapped out cause he wanted some chicken nuggets. He snatched the bag and started screaming "Chicken NUGGETS"
over and over again while kicking his feet on the floor.

See what ya gwon and start?

1:49 PM  
Blogger Mr.Slish said...

@ Mr Music Who you calling fool FOOL!!!..How are the gigs in Italy...:)

@ 1969 Lmaof I told ya..You have your work cut out for you.. The Force is strong in T2...lol He will need training by Uncle Slishy

1:58 PM  
Blogger Paula D. said...

First off Happy Belated Birthday! Secondly, that was so sweet!!

2:43 PM  
Blogger BZ said...

AWWWWWWWWWWWHHHH!!!!! That is an awesome story!

2:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Slish...What a cool story!

3:31 PM  
Blogger Gemini Girl aka GG said...

awwww too sweet for words....
you're a good guy....aaawwww his first bike ...he'll love you forever...you're a great guy and alladat...blah, blah, blah..and happy fuk'n bday..mine is coming and up and can't you tell I'm grumpy as HELL!!!! I'm with Mr. V...what kinky things Shawnla do to you that made you pass out the dough like u a rich boy!

3:49 PM  
Blogger Little Brown Girl said...

You're such a "nice guy" Mr. Slish LMAO!!!

You are also getting more sensitive in your old age partna! But that was a really sweet post I cant even front!

4:06 PM  
Blogger Minerva Exertion said...

Happy belated b-day Slish. That was a great post. You are a good brotha. Do you have a twin?? LOL!
Maybe I need to take notes from Shawnla.

4:36 PM  
Blogger Mr.Slish said...

@ paula D All the boy wants to is ride that bike...lol

@ Bz You likey...lol

@ Mz newy WHERE YA BEEN..Gonna come and check you out...

@ GG Who says I'm not rich...Its only money..and the boy needed a bike. While he rides me and Shawnla ride...lol

@ Royce You and I both know I ain't that nice...This getting old is starting soften me up ya right...

@ Minerva No twin, but I do have an older brother..:)

6:39 PM  
Blogger BK said...

Ok you made me tear up.. Happy Belated Birthday!!!

8:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home