Thursday, June 07, 2007

Iron Fist

Every little boy looks up to someone when they're young. My idols back in the day were dudes that could Kick Ass. Bruce Lee, Jim Kelly, Steve Austin, Sonny Chiba, Mr T ( loved him in rocky 3) if they could chop, kick and make you spit up blood from an open palm blow to the chest. You were my hero!

When I was about 11. My parents placed an Apt rental Ad in the paper. One afternoon I went downstairs to get some Orange juice. As I walked by the living room I noticed a neatly groomed couple sitting on my parents plastic covered couch. I think to himself " Those must be the people that answered Daddy's Apt rental ad. " Slish Sr calls out to me " Come here son. I want you to meet our new tenants" I walk over and shake the gentleman's hand. I swear he had the neatest afro I had ever seen! No Split ends at ALL! Sitting next to him was this pretty chocolate lady with almond shaped eyes. She reminded me of Jodie Watley. I shook her hand as well. She smiles and says " You're so cuuuuute" Two weeks later our new tenants moved in. They were the perfect couple. The only noise coming from their apt was the sound of their newborn baby girl.

Most afternoons I spent my time in the kitchen watching television while snacking on Ritz crackers. This particular day was no different. As i'm sitting at the table changing channels I hear " Eeee Yah, Ha Yeeeah Wooooosah " I slowly turn the volume down on the television " Sah Eeee Yah Ha Woooooha" I jump out the chair and look out the Kitchen window into the backyard. WHAT!!!!! AFROMAN CAN DO MOVES LIKE BRUCE LEE! I turn the telvision off , run outside and into the Backyard to get a better look!

AfroMan's moves were fluid and hard. He notices me standing behind him cheesin while doing a Round house kick. " Hey little man whats happening " I respond " Uuuuuuhhh Nothin but uuuum could you do that round house kick one more time. That was really keeewl." Afroman obliges. I stood there like a Michael Jackson groupie. Mouth wiiiide open. Then it dawned on me! Why not ask Afroman to train me! I was getting kinda tired of my friends slapping me around. " Hey Mr Afroman could you train me. " Afroman " Hmmmmm I don't know little man your parents might not like that. " I say " Awww cmom PleasePleasePleeeease MyfriendskeephittingmeupsidemyheadIcan'tblockitintime" Afroman cuts me off " Ooookay Little man I'll train you, but promise me you'll use what you learn here to defend yourself and not to hurt others. I close my fists reeeal tight, place them beside me and bow " I promise "

My training began soon after. Little did I know. I would learn more than just how to put my foot up someone's ass.

The Saga Continues.......

21 Comments:

Blogger 1969 said...

Oh Lawd. The Young Jedi Slishy Skywalker has found his Obi Wan Afro.....this could be dangerous...use the FORCE for GOOD!!!

7:45 AM  
Blogger Mr.Slish said...

@ 1969 Young Jedi yes..Obi Wan Afro...Ha! I wish...lol

8:16 AM  
Blogger onefromphilly said...

Ahhh Grasshopper... I hope you used your powers for good!!
But I know that ain't where this story is goin, lol

I watched Enter the Dragon just last week. Ohhhh..I used to be sooo in love with Jim Kelly, with his perfect afro. lol

8:39 AM  
Blogger Mr.Slish said...

@ OnefromPhilly. I used my powers to keep nuccas from slapping me up!!!

Yo! Wasn't Jim Kelly the Shit remember Blackbelt Jones!

9:20 AM  
Blogger 1969 said...

Enter The Dragon is one of my all time favorites. Bruce Lee is the hardest ever! He would get hit and shake it off like WHAT? 3pm on Saturdays.....all the kids ran upstairs to watch the Karate movies.

9:41 AM  
Blogger BK said...

LMAO!!! funny sounds like my son.. but only his afroman was old karate flicks..

matter of fact.. 5 deadly venoms watching it with his grandma next thing he wants to take karate!

10:46 AM  
Blogger Mr.Slish said...

@ 1969 ENTER THE DRAGON!!! They need to remake that MOVIE!!! I would love to write that script. What Actor should play the lead.

@ Bk Diva 5 DEADLY VENOMS!!!! Remeber that movie..Wow!!! Lizard Toad, Snake, And that one Character that had all their abilities...Remember Drunken Monkey vs The Dragon...

11:01 AM  
Blogger proacTiff said...

[dndbdnweqnbdvbdidb]..."Danielson,"
[pndswkwn]..."you"
[bcasnakhbcbkbas]..."better"
[dlsnddbo]..."not"
[djabdkabbl]..."drag"
[nsbfjedpen]..."this"
[dnmwernspagfrok]..."episode"
[bdkbnkal]..."out!"

My knowledge of the above [Chinese/Korean] language comes from many many years of posting up in front of Bruce Lee flicks. Please accept my translation as such.

Karate' Kid

11:17 AM  
Blogger proacTiff said...

Why you ain't changed "me" link, mon? Wax on. Wax off. ...

11:18 AM  
Blogger Ms. Lee said...

MyfriendskeephittingmeupsidemyheadIcan'tblockit!

LMAO. First you, now 1969 w/ the cliffhangers.

I love it, but I haaaaate yall!

12:17 PM  
Blogger Ms. Lee said...

^^^& LMAO @ pro's translation. LOL

12:19 PM  
Blogger Mr.Slish said...

@ Pro Why you trying to take my joy away...This is FUN FUN FUN! Haven't changed the link yet cause uuuumm..I dunno...lol


@ Ms Lee Everyone has to do a Blog series every now and then. Its entertaining...lol

1:04 PM  
Blogger Jazzy said...

Well at first I thought you had stumbled upon the sounds of your new neighbors christening the new place...lol.

This definitely brings back memories. My stepfather was a Panther and also a black belt. He used to train me and my sister. So at 5 to 6 years old we learned how to block, kick, karate chop...you name it.

Came in handy too...when some little horny toad would pull my hair I'd kick the crap outta him. :-)

1:43 PM  
Blogger Mr.Venom said...

Maybe it was all those hits upside your head that stunted your growth.

4:11 PM  
Blogger Mr.Slish said...

@ Opinionated Yo Stepdaddy was PANTHER!!! That must have been one interesting household...lol

@ Venom Hey! Maybe I should tell everyone how you pull your Little wee wee at nighttime hoping it will grow and reach the zipper on your pants!!! BEAAATCH!!!!

4:39 PM  
Blogger BK said...

LMAO @ Slish.. but WHY do I now have those movies on DVD.. I love those lil stands in the mall!

Nothing like reliving channel 5 on saturdays.. double or triple header of pure KARATE!

5:58 PM  
Blogger BK said...

oh wow.. wait THE KID WITH THE GOLDEN ARM..

5:58 PM  
Blogger *Tanyetta* said...

my parents plastic covered couch!!!!!!!

ahhhh those were the days! :)

loved this post :)

1:02 AM  
Blogger Mr.Slish said...

@ Bk Diva..I remember running outside right after those channel 5 movies were over and getting my ass KICKED!


@ Tanyetta...Remember when it got hot I would sit down on that plastic couch and get STUCK!!!!

1:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank Gawd for DVDs. Otherwise, we would miss all the good stuff! Luvved the Channel 5 (or 9 or 11) Karate Flicks, especially the ones where the ladies would fight together, usually sisters defending the family name.

But that's how it was back in the day, Karate class for the little boys and African dance class for the little girls... recital in June! LOL

4:11 PM  
Blogger BZ said...

Man, I read those noises you were sounding out and I thought you were about to catch the couple doing the nasty or something. HAHAHA!

This was cute.

3:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home